Points to Remember

· If the deceased has a solicitor, contact him or her as soon as  possible. If not, check whether the deceased had made a will.

If no will can be traced it may be advisable to see a solicitor.


· Notify any insurance company with whom the deceased has a  policy eg life insurance, car insurance, household insurance etc


· The bank, building society and post office accounts and all other  assets will normally be frozen. Insurance companies, trade unions or pension schemes may pay a limited sum immediately on death, if the deceased was entitled to benefit.


· Social Services should be notified where appropriate.


· If you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you are arranging, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund.  Your eligibility for a Funeral Payment will depend on the benefits you are receiving, your relationship to the person who has passed away, and any other money, other than your

personal savings, that may be available to help with the cost of the funeral.  If successful in your application, the Funeral

Payment will be a contribution towards the cost of the funeral

rather than meeting the full cost.


· Other Benefits may be due to you, such as a Bereavement                   Payment if you were under State Pension age when your husband, wife or civil partner died and your husband, wife or civil partner was not entitled to Category A Retirement Benefit. Other possible benefits include Bereavement Allowance and Widowed Parent’s Allowance and War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension.  Further    details can be obtained from www.direct.gov.uk or the local Job Centre Plus.

Items You Should Return

· Credit, cash point and cheque guarantee cards to the appropriate

           financial institution.



· Social benefit books, giro cheques and postal orders to the issuing DSS office.



· Passport to the office for your area (address from a Post Office).



· Driving Licence to the DVLC, Swansea, SA6 7GL with car registration documents (for recording change of ownership)



· Season travel cards and membership tickets to the office of issue

(for refund).



· National Insurance documents to relevant offices with note of date

of death.



· NHS equipment to the place of issue (wheelchairs, prosthetics etc).